Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 1: Ready or not

(By Sophia Bensch)

I'm feeling lucky. My name is Sophia, a student at Amsterdam University College. One of the students, lucky enough to be heading on a 10-day trip to Kosovo, starting tomorrow. The group of us have been spending the past week learning about kosovo's far and near history in preparation for talking to locals about the current state of their country. 

In that sense, one could say we are prepared and ready. But I think I speak for most of us when I say that being there and experiencing it first hand still seems far away. We have all been very busy with our studies in the past weeks, some of us even finishing their bachelor's thesis only days ago. After the exam yesterday, talking to each other, it started to become a little more real. We were discussing projects in the field, last minute shopping for guest gifts and what to take with us. 

I'm not sure what to expect from the upcoming trip, but somehow I have the feeling that once we are there, we will forget about all the things we have been busy with at home and happily throw ourselves into this new (for most) and exciting context. We can learn with all our senses instead of just from a book. I'm particularly looking forward to listening to people's personal stories and embracing the culture with local foods.Having few specific expectations, I hope to soak up our surroundings with open ears and eyes.

Now we should all get some rest before the long day of travelling ahead of us. You will hear more from our travel and our first impressions in the coming days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment