Saturday, June 15, 2019

From Schiphol to Pristina

By Tara Goodsir

Long lines, coffee, laptops, waiting, card games, finalising your Netflix downloads and flight delays - the start of our trip was just like most airport experiences. But one thing was a little different; all of us were a bit excited. A little at rainy Schiphol, a little at Munich, a LOT at Pristina and although I can’t speak for everyone (as we were in different places), even more when we met our hosts at Jashari Airport. The guy who stamped my passport gave me a warm welcome; ‘first time in Kosovo? You’ll like it here. It’s different, I know because I’ve been to Holland, I have a brother who lives in Venlo. It’s different, but you’ll love it, and I hope I see you here again’. After a short bus ride and a short walk in which our host Enver told me how he moved here in 2001, about the air pollution in this part of town, but that it was getting better, and about his old house on the other side of the city. We unpack our things, marveled at the rooms, figure out the wifi password and shower schedule to the sound of lots of brushing of teeth. 

And in bed, tired and content, a couple of vague and fleeting thoughts enter my mind; I’m so happy to be here... Why, after all this time, does turbulence still bug me a little...  But more importantly, I’m looking forward to breakfast, hopefully we can meet the rest of the family!

No comments:

Post a Comment