Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Different voices


By Libe Baum

As Peace Lab is ending, so is my time at AUC, and I could not have asked for a better ending of my bachelor than taking this course. Peace lab has taught me so much, and in a way it felt as if everything I have learned over the last three years has come full circle, as we put all of our theoretical knowledge into practice in Kosovo. 

For our final project, in which we researched the perception of international presence in Kosovo, we came into contact with different stories, different perspectives and different voices waiting to be heard. Peace Lab showed me that knowledge gained during your years at university goes beyond just the theoretical knowledge, and the things you learn in a classroom. 

It is the things underneath that you might not notice at first, which demonstrate the value of everything I have done for the last three years. Kosovo will be an experience that I will take with me whereever I go, both on a personal and an academic level, and I believe that is where this course finds its strength. The encounters we have had during the trip gave a face to the things we had previously learned about post-conflict areas, but had not experienced yet ourselves. 

It was inspiring to see the effect this had on every single person in the group, and how we connected with the people we met, but also with each other. The biggest impact on me were the amazing acts of generosity and the kindness of the people living in Kosovo. Never before have I felt more welcomed by strangers. As I aim to pursue a career focusing on peace and conflict, this was inspiring to witness. I am so grateful for the opportunities that we had during our time in Kosovo. Being able to meet some of the biggest international organiaations out there, some of which I hope to work for some day, was truly a privilege. 

All in all, looking back at this past month I have regained motivation for the future. Not trying to sound too cliché, but I am starting a new chapter next year, in which the future is still very uncertain. And although this is something that I am not always comfortable with, the practical experience that I have gained from Peace Lab, and the important values that I was reminded of by the people we met has provided me with a feeling that I am on the right track, even if that track does not have a clear direction just yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment