Tuesday, July 18, 2023

How art fosters peace


By Natalia Kossowska


Starting my university during the pandemic had many implications for me. Among others, I became more closed off to new people, experiences, and challenges. I felt like since COVID my life stagnated and I lost part of myself that would be eager to experience this world. Part of my anxious brain reassured me that this attitude is now fixed and this is who I am. Not that there is something wrong with spending more alone time and solely investing your time in already established friendships, the problem here is that this is not me. Before coming to university I had the most hectic life. I was open to traveling and moving between countries, I took plenty of challenges and met tons of new people. Therefore, I felt like post-pandemic-Natalia is someone different from my past self. 

Peace Lab was the experience I needed at the end of my Bachelor’s to realize that post-pandemic-Natalia had to open up, take on a new experience that puts one outside of their comfort zone and requires a lot of engagement, understanding, and detachment from the daily mundane routines of a college student. One part of Peace Lab that required all of those aspects was a group project that me and my group mates, Anne Li, Anna, and Laure, decided to turn into an art magazine “Peace Within Art,” that celebrates Kosovar art, culture, and people. 










The process of writing the magazine required putting myself out there, talking to strangers, asking our partners for further contacts, and being thoughtful of the political and social climate of Kosovo. All of that is on top of an already packed schedule full of absorbing and extremely interesting and moving meetings, as well as socializing in the evenings. At times, I was extremely tired and overwhelmed, so I had to push myself the extra mile to finish my articles. At some point, “pushing myself for the project” turned into “hey let’s make friends with this stranger” which changed my entire mindset and motivation. I was no longer thinking of the project as something that has to be done, but rather as an opportunity to be open and curious about other people, cultures, and art around me. This way, I met Merita who showed me TermoKiss, a community space where anyone is welcome (if you want to read about our encounter and what TermoKiss is, please read the article below).

 

Excerpt of my final group project: an article written by me about TermoKiss for the Peace Within Art. magazine

Meeting Merita, and other people that we’re mentioning in our magazine, through simply shifting my mindset to curiosity completely changed my perception of Kosovo and its people. It also sheds light on the importance of art for a post-conflict society that is looking for healing. Such healing can only be done when there is a safe space, which art is providing in Kosovo. Kosovar art also amplifies voices that are being silenced and fosters inner peace through creativity. Hence, I also learned that art is a peace-building tool. Before coming on this trip I only had one view of peacebuilding: the one that is occurring on the highest level of international and national politics and established ceasefires, treaties, and legislation. It is one thing to know and another to understand through experience: Peace Lab made me experience how art fosters peace and how grassroots efforts are the ones making peace. As an IR student I often felt insignificant because I do not participate in the efforts of international organizations, but talking to Merita helped me see how important it is to also have a meaningful engagement at the local level. Because this way, you can move little things a kilometer forward.       


No comments:

Post a Comment