Saturday, July 7, 2018

The Value of Peace

By Ella MacLaughlin

A bridge separating the Albanians and Serbian areas of Mitrovica. Cars still cannot travel across it.
 

In the first couple days of the Peace Lab course, Anne asked our class what peace meant to us. Initially, we explained the meaning of peace we have all discussed in our international relations classes. We said peace is the absence of conflict, when there are no more armed fights, no more mass atrocities, and the frustrating tensions between certain groups are no longer bursting with violent impulses. After hearing these responses, Anne asked us to think more about what peace meant to us on a personal level. What is a peace within a family? What is peace within oneself? The answers then took a more emotional turn: peace is a feeling of safety and of ease - above all, peace is comfortable.
            During my time in Kosovo, I struggled to find peace within myself. The semi-stressful, new circumstance unexpectedly led to the re-emergence of mental health issues I thought I had overcome months ago. I will not go into details, but I share this fact because it created an interesting situation: I was constantly preoccupied with Kosovo’s peacebuilding processes, but I also had to consider my own personal “peacemaking” as I experienced inner conflicts.
            I have no nice analogy to make between mental health struggles and war: the difference in levels of intensity are obviously too large. What I can say is that I have never wanted peace more than I did during my time in Kosovo. I wanted it not just for myself, but primarily for the country in which I was hosted. I faced the aftermath of conflict in almost every formal meeting and conversation we attended in Kosovo. On one relatively average day, we met with a representative of the University of Pristina at Mitrovica, a school that was born out of the Serbian-Albanian ethnic conflict, the Field of Blackbirds, an iconic place for Serbian nationalism, and a non-governmental organization called the New Social Initiative, which conducts research on citizens’ experiences with their new government because official state institutions do not listen well enough.
Even though the international community has put enormous amounts of resources into improving the situation in Kosovo (e.g. the establishment of EULEX in Kosovo and UNMIK), pessimism about the nation’s future remains high. There may be infrastructure now, but the economy is weak: half of young people are unemployed, and thousands of workers at international organizations face looming unemployment as foreign involvement is downsized - a concern echoed by my host father, Enver. As a result of this dire situation, most of the Kosovars I interviewed for my qualitative research project framed their futures as grim or uncertain. The conflict has ended, but Kosovo is still an uncomfortable country to live in - it does not inspire the warm and fuzzy feelings of sustainable peace.
In fact, I can imagine the distress created by low economic and career prospects often feels overwhelming. The Kosovar people are uncomfortably forced into facing semi-undesirable options for their futures: buy into the Kosovar hiring system’s corruption, emigrate for better job prospects, or work twice as hard trying to pin down a well paying, long-term job within Kosovo. As I spoke to Kosovars and grew to empathize with their struggles more and more through my fieldwork and homestay, I realized how ridiculously privileged I am to have always lived in peaceful political environments. Sure, people everywhere face conflict in their daily lives with family, relationships, and mental health, but it is a great advantage to not deal with conflict perpetuated by the state on top of all this.
            As a result of this realization and my personal struggles with mental health during the trip, I came to appreciate peace on a much deeper level. Before this trip, I had never thought much about how to define peace - for most of my life, I have been lucky enough to take it for granted. Kosovo taught me that, for many people, peace is rare and temporary: even when a state conflict ends, the following uncertain future can lead to years of turmoil in mental health and relationships. Thanks to my experience in Kosovo, I will place the word “peace” at the forefront of my mind through the rest of my studies. While learning about international relations, and also while balancing my personal life, I will value peace the most.
The Mountains of Prizren

No comments:

Post a Comment